The English Community
The English dominated Toronto’s early history, establishing many industries and institutions, and shaping politics, law, and the arts in the city. The contributions of English-born Governors General and senior military officers such as Sir George Yonge, Lord Dufferin, and Earl Bathurst are remembered in the names of Toronto’s main thoroughfares. Osgoode Hall is a reminder of London-born William Osgoode, who was the first Chief Justice of Upper Canada. Massey (Music) Hall, built in 1894, and Hart House at the University of Toronto are cultural monuments contributed by the family who founded the country’s largest farm machinery manufacturer, Massey Ferguson.
​
In the 15th century, the English sponsored John Cabot’s northern exploration that led to the discovery of Labrador and furthered British settlement of what is now Canada. Sixteenth-century English explorer Martin Frobisher, who sought a route to Asia through Greenland, and 17th-century explorers Henry Hudson, William Baffin, and Thomas James are memorialized in Canadian geographic features.
​
The first English colony in Canada was established in Newfoundland in 1611 by a small group of fishermen who came to Conception Bay from Devon, England. In 1670, the Hudson’s Bay Company was granted an exclusive monopoly on trade through Hudson Strait and possession of Rupert’s Land, which led to subsequent explorations by Englishmen based at the company’s fort.
​
Large-scale English immigration began with the American Revolution, when thousands of settlers of British origin joined the United Empire Loyalists in leaving the United States between 1775 and 1783. As a British colony, Canada’s early institutions adopted the British model of responsible government and English common law.
​
The Constitutional Act of 1791 divided Quebec into the provinces of Upper and Lower Canada, and Englishman John Graves Simcoe was appointed the first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. Simcoe founded York, a name which was used for the site until its incorporation as the City of Toronto in 1834.
​
British immigration to Canada increased significantly in 1816 after the Napoleonic Wars, when an economic depression forced many small farmers, artisans, factory workers, and ex-soldiers to emigrate. Between 1815 and 1855, almost one million British immigrants—a large percentage of whom were English—landed in British North America.
At the turn of the century, British children from poor families were sponsored to settle in towns across Canada. The Empire Settlement Act of 1922 provided training and financial assistance to new settlers, and resulted in 130,000 new immigrants settling in the country.
​
Following the Second World War, ex-servicemen, war brides, and many trained industrial workers, technicians, and professionals arrived in Canada. The Suez Crisis in 1956 sparked further English immigration, as did Canada’s Centennial Year, 1967. Many Canadian institutions have English roots. The Boy Scouts were organized in 1908, and the Girl Guides were brought to Canada from England in 1910. The Canadian Red Cross began in 1896 as a branch of the British National Society for Aid to the Sick and Wounded. In the arts, the English have made important contributions in establishing the CBC, the NFB, the Canada Council, the National Ballet, and Stratford festival.
​
Toronto’s Cabbagetown, which was settled in the 1850s by the Irish and English, contains reminders of early British history, including Parliament Street, once the site of the Town of York’s parliament buildings. The neighbourhood’s early Anglican churches include St. Peter’s (1866), All Saints (1874), and St. Simon’s (1888).
​
Rosedale was named after the wild roses found on the estate of Colonel William Botsford Jarvis, and High Park’s Grenadier Pond took its name from the British soldiers who trained on its frozen surfaces. The park, once the estate of London-born architect John Howard, was bequeathed to the city in the 1870s.
​
Many of the prominent people of Toronto’s early days were members of the St. George’s Society of Toronto, which was founded in 1834. Today, the English community maintains ties with its heritage through the Society, which has an active social calendar and programme of charitable activities. English traditions are also carried on in the city’s sports fields with soccer, rugby, and cricket matches. The Toronto Cricket Club, the oldest cricket club in North America, was founded by English soldiers in the 19th century and continues to be a popular sports club among those of British descent.
Places to Go
​
Memories of Old England linger in The Beaches with houses built in the style of mock-Tudor half-timbering, beach-type cottages, and a townhouse development that resembles a street in an English village. The Beaches is loosely defined as the area stretching from Woodbine Avenue to Victoria Park and from Lake Ontario to Gerrard Street. Street names like Ham -mersmith, Kenilworth, and Waverley Road reflect their previous English denizens, as do the neighbourhood’s British pubs. The mock-Tudor Beaches Library was built in 1915 to commemorate the tercentenary of the death of William Shakes peare, and the Glen Stewart Park contains a pretty garden and a fountain typical of an English country home.
​
Institutions include the Kew Beach Lawn Bowling Club, (Tel. 416-694-4371, Lee Ave), one of the oldest recreational organizations in Canada, founded in the 1890s, and the century-old Balmy Beach Canoe Club, (Tel. 416-691-9962, Beech Ave), built on land donated by one-time Toronto mayor Sir Adam Wilson. Club teams won championships in lawn bowling, and hockey, and its football team won the Grey Cup in 1927 and 1930. The Gardener’s House, (30 Lee Ave), was built in 1902 by Joseph and Jane Williams who turned their estate, Kew Gardens (named after the famous botanical gardens in London), into picnic grounds for summer visitors. Ashbridges Bay Park was named after the family who first settled the area in 1794. The Ashbridges’ original farmhouse still stands at 1444 Queen St. E.
​
Toronto’s British pubs are popular gathering places where dart playing is accompanied by the drinking of heavy beers such as Newcastle Brown and Worthington E. Popular pub dishes include steak and kidney pie, bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potatoes), fish and chips, and shepherd’s pie. Pork and lamb dishes, eggs, Yorkshire pudding, and fish such as kippers (smoked herring) and haddock often appear on English menus. Tea is often served with buns, biscuits and cakes.
​
Feathers, (Tel. 416-694-0443, 962 Kingston Rd), takes its name from the classic pub in Ludlow. The mayor of Ludlow once made a speech over the phone to the patrons of Toronto’s Feathers. The restaurant/pub serves fish and chips, bangers and mash, roast beef, steak and mushroom pie, steak and kidney pie, and Lancashire Hot Pot (lamb casserole). A midday snack is the ploughman’s lunch (cheese plate with double Gloucester cheese, branston pickle, and pickled onion) and another popular dish is kedgeree (fish casserole with cream and curry). Scottish owner Ian Innes has added British atmosphere with dartboards and photographs of everyday life in Britain.
​
English burgers, fries, meatpies, pasties, beer, and pop can be found at: Elephant and Castle Pub, (Tel. 416-598-4003, 378 Yonge St).
​
In Cabbagetown, a few Victorian mansions still stand, along with elegant row houses that date from 1875. Original farmhouses and worker’s cottages can be found in the area, as well as Queen Anne houses, and Victorian Gothic townhouses. The Spruce Court Apartments, built in Tudor style, was the city’s first low-cost housing project, erected in 1913 by the Toronto Housing Company. Allan Gardens, (Tel. 416-944-2973, 120 Carlton St, Suite 417). The Palm House was designed after British examples. First built in 1879, then replaced in 1909 after a fire, the structure was used for concerts, balls, promenades, and floral displays.
​
Monuments found in the city’s Queen’s Park include statues of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, Toronto’s co-founder General John Graves Simcoe, and Robert Raikes, the founder of Sunday School in Gloucester, England, in 1780. Among the monuments along University Avenue is a memorial to the Sons Of England and those who died during the Great War (1914–1918) which was funded by the Toronto district Sons of England Benefit Society. On the lawns of Toronto’s City Hall is a standing bronze figure of Sir Winston Churchill inscribed with many great quotations from speeches of the former British Prime Minister.
​
The oldest surviving structure in Toronto is Gibraltar Light House, or Centre Island. Built in 1808, the lighthouse was used by British soldiers to protect the island. Fort York, (Tel. 416-392-6907, Garrison Rd. off Fleet St), was a British garrison that defended the settlement of York during the War of 1812, notably during the Battle of York in 1813. Military displays and demonstrations are held at the fort.
​
Todmorden Mills, (Tel. 416-396-2819, 67 Pottery Rd), was built by early English settlers and contains remnants of a brewery, paper mill, and the old Don Station. Casa Loma, (Tel. 416-923-1171, 1 Austin Terrace), was built by architect E.J. Lennox using architectural styles of English castles. The original proprietor, Sir Henry Pellatt, employed stonemasons and imported stones from Scotland to build the 98-room house which features towers and secret panels. The paneled walls of Peacock Alley were fashioned after Windsor Castle.
​
Colborne Lodge, High Park, (Tel. 416-392-6916). The cottage was built by John Howard in 1836 and was made into a museum in 1927. Hours are Tuesday to Sunday, 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed Mondays.
​
The Grange, (Tel. 416-977-0414, ext. 338, 317 Dundas St. W), was built in 1817 for the Boulton family, who named it after their ancestral home in England. The house became the Art Museum of Toronto between 1913 and 1918, until a new adjoining gallery was built. The Grange was restored and opened as a house museum in 1973.
​
The Henry Moore Sculpture Centre, Art Gallery of Ontario, (Tel. 416-977-0414, 317 Dundas St. W). World-renowned British sculptor Henry Moore donated the largest collection of his works—some 100 sculptures, drawings and prints—to the people of Toronto. Torontonians supported the completion of his controversial sculpture The Archer, which sits in the civic square of Nathan Phillips Square. His sculpture, Large Two Forms, is found on the corner of Dundas and McCaul streets, in front of the Art Gallery of Ontario.
​
The Arthur Conan Doyle Room, Metro Toronto Library, (Tel. 416-393-7000, 789 Yonge St), houses one of the world’s largest collections of Sherlock Holmes memorabilia, including records, films, photos, books, manu scripts, and letters.
The English parlour tradition of tea-drinking is carried out in several establishments in the city. Tea is served with scones, whipped cream, and jams, and often accompanied by smoked salmon, cucumber, and watercress sandwiches served on silver trays. Four Seasons Hotel, (Tel. 416-964-0411, 21 Avenue Rd), serves afternoon tea in the lounge every day from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Ten different types of tea are served in Royal Doulton china along with scones with Wilkin & Sons jams and Devon cream. The Meridian King Edward Hotel, (Tel. 416-863-9700, 37 King Street E), built in 1903, also serves afternoon tea every day.
​
The institution of the British pub has been revived in the city with the Duke of York, (Tel. 416-964-2441, 39 Prince Arthur Ave). There are now a number of ‘Dukes’ offering fine pub fare including Scotch eggs, Cornish pastries, shepherd’s pie, and British beer and ale on tap. These include the Duke of Gloucester, (Tel. 416-961-9704, 649 Yonge St); Duke of West -minster, (Tel. 416-368-2761, 100 King St W); Duke of Kent, (Tel. 416-485-9507, 2315 Yonge St).
​
The Rose & Crown, (Tel. 416-487-ROSE(7673), 2335 Yonge St), shares its name with some one thousand pubs in England. Other pubs include: The Black Sheep, (Tel. 416-224-0741, 4901 Yonge St); and The Artful Dodger, (Tel. 416-964-9511, 12 Isabella St); and Red Lion Pub, (Tel. 416-967-5551, 449 Jarvis St). Ben Wicks Restaurant, (Tel. 416-961-9425, 424 Parliament St), is an English-style pub named after the retired Toronto cartoonist.
​
The Bay, a descendant of the Hudson’s Bay Company, has operated stores in Canada since the early 17th century. William Ashley China Ltd., (Tel. 416-964-2900, 55 Bloor St. W, Manulife Centre), sells Wedgwood, Crown Derby, and Royal Doulton china.
​
​
Religious Centres, Schools and Other Institutions
​
About 50 percent of church-going Canadians of English descent belong to the Anglican church, while the rest belong to the United church and some smaller Protestant sects. A small minority are Roman Catholics.
There are almost 100 Anglican churches located throughout the city:
​
-
THE ANGLICAN CHURCH OF CANADA, head offices and bookstore, are located at (Tel. 416-924-9192, 80 Hayden St). The Toronto Diocese office is at, (Tel. 416-363-6021, 135 Adelaide St. E).
-
ST. JAMES CATHEDRAL, (Tel. 416-364-7865, 65 Church St), was designed in Gothic style by Frederick W. Cumberland and completed in 1874. The spire, which is the tallest in Canada, was once used to guide ships into harbour. Stained glass windows are dedicated to the Hon. William Jarvis, and a stone inside the church bears the name of the Jarvis family, for whom a city street is also named. Bishop Strachan, rector at St. James in 1812, is buried in the chancel.
-
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, (Tel. 416-368-7768, 315 Dundas St. E), was built in 1874 in High Victorian style.
-
BELLEFAIR UNITED CHURCH, (Tel. 416-691-3951, 2 Bellefair Ave).
-
EMMANUEL HOWARD PARK UNITED CHURCH, (Tel. 416-536-1755, 214 Wright Ave). Built at the turn of the century, the church organ was once played by Glenn Gould and has been used by the Orford String Quartet to record songs.
-
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, (Tel. 416-598-4521, 19 Trinity Square). Built in 1847 by architect Henry Bowyer Lane.
-
LITTLE TRINITY CHURCH, (Tel. 416-367-0272, 425 King St. E). Built between 1843 and 1845, this church has Tudor Gothic features.
-
ST. JAMES-THE-LESS CHAPEL, (635 Parliament St). Built in 1858 in the style of a 13th century English parish church.
-
ST. JOHN’S NORWAY ANGLICAN CHURCH, (Tel. 416-691-4560, 470 Woodbine Ave). The 142-year-old church has been designated a historic site. Sparkling stained glass windows are admired by art students, and a chime of eight bells can be heard over a cemetery of 68,000 graves of the city’s early settlers.
-
ST. PAUL’S ANGLICAN, (Tel. 416-961-8116, 227 Bloor St. E). The city’s largest church, built in 1861 in the style of a medieval English village church.
-
ST. PETER’S ANGLICAN CHURCH, (Tel. 416-924-1891, 188 Carlton St). Built in 1865.
-
ST. SIMON THE APOSTLE CHURCH, (Tel. 416-923-8714, 525 Bloor St. E).
-
WAVERLEY ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH, (Tel. 416-694-3054, 129 Waverley Rd).
There are two traditional English schools in Toronto:
-
ROYAL ST. GEORGE’S COLLEGE, (Tel. 416-533-9481, 120 Howland Ave).
-
UPPER CANADA COLLEGE, (Tel. 416-488-1125, 200 Lonsdale Rd), is a private school based on the English public school system.
​
​
Holidays and Celebrations
​
-
ST. GEORGE’S DAY on April 23 honours the patron saint of England, once a Roman soldier who advanced to high military rank under the Emperor Diocletian. He was arrested and executed for protecting his new-found Christian faith. The flag of St. George (and of England, also forming part of the Union Jack) is a red cross on a white background. The St. George’s Society of Toronto celebrates St. George’s Day with its Red Rose Ball, held on or near April 23rd, and the Society’s colours are processed at a service at St. James Cathedral the Sunday following.
​
See Holidays and Celebrations in Glossary.
​
​
Organizations
​
-
ST. GEORGE’S SOCIETY OF TORONTO, (Tel. 416-597-0220, Fax 416-597-1438, www.stgeorges.to, 14 Elm St). Founded in 1834 to help English and Welsh immigrants who had fallen upon hard times, the Society still maintains an active charitable programme whilst at the same time furthering and preserving English heritage and culture.
-
BRITISH PENSIONERS ASSOCIATION CANADA, (Tel. 416-253-6402, 605 Royal York Rd., #202). Open weekdays 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
-
QUEEN’S OWN RIFLES OF CANADA, (Tel. 416-635-2761, www.qor.com, 130 Queen St. E).
-
THE TORONTO CRICKET, SKATING AND CURLING CLUB, (Tel. 416-487-4581, www.torontocricketclub.com, 141 Wilson Ave).
Consulates, Trade Commissions and Tourist Bureaus
​
-
BRITISH CONSULATE GENERAL, (Tel. 416-593-1290, 777 Bay St., Suite 2800). Consul General: Mr. Jonathan Dart.
-
BRITISH CANADIAN CHAMBER OF TRADE AND COMMERCE, (Tel. 905-274-7100, P.O. Box 1358, Station K). Executive Director: Caroline Ross.
​
​
Prominent Torontonians
​
Peter Appleyard, jazz vibraphonist; Dr. Robert Buchman, physician, author and TV personality; Betty Kennedy, media personality; Ted Medland, stock broker; Bette Stephenson, former Ontario Cabinet Minister; Veronica Tennant, former ballerina; John Tory, radio personality, lawyer, former CEO of Rogers, former MPP and leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario; Rita Tushingham, stage and film actress; David Feldman, developer and philanthropist.
Contributors: Frances Sommerville, Gail Rayment, St. George’s Society.